Shipping is a crucial aspect of any e-commerce business and it’s important to find ways to reduce shipping costs while still providing fast, reliable delivery. One way to do this is by maximizing shipping carrier discounts.
Shipping carriers like UPS and FedEx offer various discounts to businesses that use their services frequently. To take advantage of these discounts and cut ecommerce costs, businesses need to understand the options available and make informed choices about which shipping services to use. Here are some tips for maximizing shipping carrier discounts:
- Negotiate with carriers: By demonstrating that they’re a valuable customer with a high volume of shipments, businesses can negotiate a better rate with shipping carriers.
- Choose the right carrier for your needs: Different carriers offer different discounts and services, so it’s important to choose the right one for your business. By comparing shipping rates from multiple carriers, including UPS ecommerce and FedEx ecommerce, businesses can find the most cost-effective option based on cost and delivery time.
- Use online shipping tools: Most carriers offer online shipping tools that provide discounts for using their services. By using these tools, businesses can save money on shipping and streamline their shipping processes.
- Consider a multi-carrier shipping solution: A multi-carrier shipping solution allows businesses to compare shipping rates from multiple carriers and choose the best option based on cost and delivery time. By taking advantage of the discounts offered by different carriers, businesses can find the most cost-effective shipping option.
- Calculate rates before you sign: Carriers often claim that agreements will yield savings that simply don’t exist. An easy way to cross check the carrier’s savings claim is to run an in depth calculation yourself. If you don’t have the tools already built out to perform such a calculation, companies like ShipScience.com will do them for free, even if you’re not a customer.
By maximizing shipping carrier discounts, direct to consumer e-commerce businesses can reduce their shipping costs and improve their bottom line. However, it’s important to balance the cost savings with the quality of the shipping service, as customers expect fast and reliable delivery.