How Do I Request a UPS Guaranteed Service Refund (GSR)?
Once you’ve identified that a package was delivered late, requesting a Guaranteed Service Refund is relatively easy. Note: The request must be made by the shipper (not the recipient of the package) within 15 days of your scheduled delivery date.
Steps for submitting a GSR claim for a late shipment
There are two ways to file your Guaranteed Service Refund claims.
- By Phone: Call 1-800-PICK-UPS (1-800-742-5877) and say “Refund”
- Typically, you’ll only need to supply UPS with your tracking number. However, it may be helpful to have the following information about the shipment handy, in case the UPS claims agent requests it:
- Tracking Number
- Shipping Date
- Origin and Destination
- Scheduled Delivery Date and Time
- Actual Delivery Date and Time
- Online: Navigate to ups.com, then go to the UPS Billing Center (you’ll need a My UPS user ID to do this).
- Click on Dispute History & Refunds in the navigation menu
- On the next page, click on Request Service Refund
- Add your tracking number and click “Submit”
Common Issues with Guaranteed Service Refund Requests
Getting to the refund page is the easy part. There are many reasons why your shipment might not be eligible for a refund. Some common reasons include:
- The type service you used was not guaranteed (like 2nd Day Air Residential shipments, for example)
- The shipping contract you signed prevented you from claiming refunds (be careful – read your contract!)
- You dropped your package off at a UPS store (you have to claim those refunds through the UPS store directly)
- Packages subject to a Large Package Surcharge or Additional Handling Fee
- Delays outside of the control of UPS (there’s a long list of things here)
- Shipments made around the holidays (yep, those holiday packages aren’t actually guaranteed!
Beyond the reasons above, you still might find that your refund can’t be issued online due to UPS refund web service interruptions (a common problem).
Conclusion: Automate Refunds at Scale
If you are just trying to get refunds for a couple shipments or if you ship less than 100 shipments a month, manually reviewing your shipments and submitting your refund requests yourself may be manageable for you and your business. If you ship in heavier volume, keeping up with this process will quickly become tedious, and refunds will slip through the cracks. We guarantee it.
Please Note: All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing in this article are the property of their respective owners. The use of any registered trademarks mentioned herein is solely for the purpose of identifying the specific products and services offered, and should not be taken as an indication of sponsorship, endorsement, or affiliation with ShipScience. ShipScience acknowledges these trademarks are the property of their respective owners and affirms that no commercial relationship or sponsorship is implied or expressed by their use in this article.